Page 1 of 1 pages

Historic site, The Commercial Rooms

The Commercial Rooms,Bristol


Photograph of Historic site, The Commercial Rooms, Corn Street. Now a pub, the Commercial Rooms were built in 1810 (three years after the end of the slave trade) as a new centre fro Bristol’s businessmen.The site was formerly occupied by another of Bristol’s famous coffee houses, Foster’s Coffee House.The exterior of the building has statues representing Bristol, Commerce and Navigation, which are sometimes referred to as the three commercial graces.One carving shows Britannia checking the monies due to her from the rest of the world.

With thanks to the authors of the Slave Trade Trail around Central Bristol, Madge Dresser, Caletta Jordan, Doreen Taylor.

Creator: David Emeney

Date: 2003

Copyright: Copyright BCC Museum

Page 1 of 1 pages