Page 1 of 1 pages

Historic site, The Georgian House

The Georgian House, Great George Street


Historic site, the Georgian House, Great George St, Bristol. The house was built and owned by John Pinney (1740-1818). Pinney earned his fortune from his sugar plantations on the Caribbean island of Nevis from where he returned in 1783. He became even richer from the sugar company he set up with his friend, the pro-slavery campaigner James Tobin. Pinney and Tobin owned ships and loaned money to plantaion owners, and took over the plantations and slaves of those who could not pay their debts. Pinney and his black slave, Pero, are the subject of a small display in the house, which is now a museum and is furnished in typical Georgian style.

With thanks to the authors of the Slave Trade Trail around Central Bristol, Madge Dresser, Caletta Jordan, Doreen Taylor.

Date: 2003

Copyright: Copyright BCC Museum

Page 1 of 1 pages