Page 1 of 1 pages

Historic site, Three Sugar Loaves Pub

The Three Sugar Loaves Pub


Photograph of Historic site, The Three Sugar Loaves public house.This pub got its name from the site of a nearby sugar processing house, destroyed by fire in 1859. Fire was a hazard in the sugar refining industry, between 1670 and 1859, no fewer than 11 sugar houses were destroyed by fire.Owing to the high insurance costs sugar merchants started their own insurance firms, the first being the Bristol Fire Office, founded in 1718. By 1837 this was absorbed into the Sun Fire Office.This was the city’s only fire service until the Police Fire Brigade Service was formed in 1877.

With thanks to the authors of the Slave Trade Trail around Central Bristol, Madge Dresser, Caletta Jordan, Doreen Taylor.

Creator: David Emeney

Date: 2003

Copyright: Copyright BCC Museum

Object ID:DME0008

Page 1 of 1 pages