Page 1 of 1 pages

Historic site, Venturers House

Venturers House


Photograph of Historic site, Venturers House. Venturers House is at the site of the old Merchants Hall. The original hall was destroyed in the Second World War, and the present Merchants Hall is in Clifton. In 1552 the merchants in Bristol obtained a Royal Charter, which established them as the Society of Merchant Venturers of the City of Bristol, which sought exclusive control of foreign trade.The Merchant Venturers were a powerful lobby, responsible in the 18th century for ensuring Bristol had its share of African trade and defending the trade on the grounds that the citys prosperity depended on it. By the late 18th century another lobby, the West India Society whose members included some Merchant Venturers, took up the cause of defending planter interests.

With thanks to the authors of the Slave Trade Trail around Central Bristol, Madge Dresser, Caletta Jordan, Doreen Taylor.

Creator: David Emeney

Date: unknown

Copyright: Copyright BCC Museum

Page 1 of 1 pages